The History of 1 Sussex Square
ground floor plan made 2015
No 1 Sussex Square
No 1 Sussex Square together with No 2 became a school in 1846 belonging to Miss Bridges. Horatio Goulty and his family owned it and also ran it as a school until 1889. Thereafter the property became purely residential and owned by Houghton Lambert Esq, physician and surgeon and others until 1914 (see Street Directories )
In 1918/19 the property is recorded as having been ‘The Herbert Samuel Hospital for Officers’
The ‘corner’ sites on the Estate were always a tricky building conundrum because of their wedge shape. Wilkes having acquired the carcass from Kemp at 4,000 square foot proceeded to extend the buildings, on the land behind, to enclose a further 6,000 square foot making the property one of the biggest on the Estate.