The History of 2 Sussex Square

​2 Sussex Square

1.The Rev.H.N.Goulty

2. Lt. Maurice Stanley Craike-Pickering MC.

3.Captain Hugh Langton HORNBY, MC

1.The Rev.H.N.Goulty

Kemp Town clergy

Recollections of Kemp Town’s early days by published on 16th January 1892 by William Baines in the Brighton Herald

The late Rev. H. N. Goulty of Union Chapel and Extra Mural Cemetery fame, after his migration from Western Road (at the corner of Regent Hill) lived in Kemp Town for many years. He had a most singular antipathy to Burn’s little ‘bonnie gem’. The sight of the daisy in the greensward of the Kemp Town Enclosures had the same effect on him that the sight of a Frenchman did upon Nelson. It gave him nervous twitchings. Many passages of arms did the rev. gentleman have with the burly old gardener upon the subject and finally the daisies had to quit.

To read more of these Recollections find the Article on the Estate page by Andrew Doig

It is currently supposed that 1 and 2 Sussex Square were always one dwelling. The ‘corner’ sites on the Estate were always a tricky building conundrum because of their wedge shape. Wilkes having acquired the carcass from Kemp at 4,000 square foot proceeded to extend the buildings, on the land behind, to enclose a further 6,000 square foot making the property one of the biggest on the Estate

.Although 1 and 2 Sussex Square have always been popularly supposed to have always been used for schools, in fact No 2 is recorded as having been the residence of Horton Lambert Esq. physician and surgeon from 1895 -1898, several others to 1909 and Major le Vicomte and Madame la Vicomtesse d’Aubigne from 1910 - 1914. (See Street Directories)

By 1932 it became a boarding house for St Mary’s School and remained a college or school since that time

2. Lt. Maurice Stanley Craike-Pickering MC.

British Army 25th Machine Gun Battalion Machine Gun Corp

from:Beverley, East Yorkshire

(d.14th April 1918)

My Great Great Uncle, Lieutenant Maurice Stanley Craike-Pickering MC. was

son of Seth Pickering and his wife Mary Craike of Beverley East Yorkshire.

He was born at Beverley in 1886 and educated at Beverley Grammar School. In

1901 he began work as an apprentice Cabinet Maker to his father who was a

cabinet maker and shopkeeper in Beverley. He was Initiated into

Constitutional Lodge No 294 Province of Yorkshire North and East Ridings and

was a Joining Member of Maguncor Lodge. Later he became a Rubber Planter in

Dutch Borneo.

Commissioned and Gazetted as 2nd Lieutenant 13th Battalion, Highland Light

Infantry 7th April 1915; transferred to the Machine Gun Corps 26th November

1915; served with the Expeditionary force in France and Flanders from March

1916. He was awarded the Military Cross (London Gazette 14th November 1916)

“For conspicuous gallantry in action. with his machine gun with great

courage and determination, repulsing an enemy counter-attack at a critical

time”.

The husband of Jean Craike-Pickering of 29 Braidburn Court, Edinburgh, he

was wounded at the First Battle of the Somme on the 15th September 1916. He

died of his wounds in the Herbert Samuelson Hospital Brighton on the 14th

April 1918 aged 32. Remembered with Honour in Brighton and Preston Cemetery.

Sussex.

3.Captain Hugh Langton HORNBY, MC, 8th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers,

is buried in Plot 39152. He was severely wounded at the Battle of Messines

in Belgium on 6th June 1917, being awarded a Military Cross for gallantry in

action during the battle. He was evacuated to UK and eventually died of

his wounds on 5th June 1918, aged 23, whilst a patient of the Herbert

Samuelson Hospital, Sussex Square, Brighton. He is commemorated on the

Cheltenham War Memorial.

His brother, Lt Joseph Henry Hornby, Royal Engineers, was killed in action

in France on 7th November 1918, just a few days before the Armistice. The

inscription on the front kerb of the grave says “They were lovely and

pleasant in their lives and in death were not divided”.

The brothers resided at “Lindela”, Pilford Road, Leckhampton, Cheltenham.